Friday, February 27, 2009

Valentine Day Brookies

Went for a half day fly fishing trip on valentines day with a long time friend I hadn't talked to in a while. But, I quickly learned he got into fly fishing and has the bug like me. Us two and his cousin-in-law took off about an hour before daylight. He had a nice stream picked out up in McDowell County we had never fished.

I didn't have any luck until after a short rain and then the sun popped out, after that it was on like stink on a monkey. I managed to hook 5 and landed 2 beautiful brookies. One on a BWO dry and the rest pheasant tail nymphs. The highlight was obviously the BWO. I missed him on the first two tries so I sat down, had a snack and watched him ravage everthing in his feeding lane until I couldn't wait any longer. A quick, perfect cast and BAM, he was on. He was probably near peak size for this stream at about 7 inches. I wish I had a picture but I didn't take the camera.

I'll hit this stream again no doubt, hard to find good brookie close to where I live in the foothills of NC.

Of course then I had to get back and tend to my real valentine......mushy...mushy. I only put this in hear knowing she'll catch on that I'm bloggin now and will read my posts.

No comments: