Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blown Out Wild Brookies


After a break in the rain we've been getting, the clouds decided to part and give a man a dry hat for a few hours on Saturday. And I must say we had a most excellent day on a wild brook trout stream. We arrived at our "secret" stream at about 6:45am to hear it's normal trickle sound like rushing whitewater. I assumed this stream would have been a good bet for almost normal flows even after all the rain we've gotten over the past two weeks, man did I get surprised! I'm more than thrilled to see the rain after the two years of drought we've had. I told someone 10 inches of rain is a blessing, but all 10 inches don't have to come in 10 minutes. We've had some true frog stranglers lately.




I couldn't help but notice that while at the truck suiting up we were almost dive bombed by what appeared to be some type of morning dun mayfly. I didn't get a good pic but they were very orange in color. So orange I actually didn't have anything in my box that matched it exactly but got pretty darn close with something good enough to bend the rod multiple times.






The only downfall to our day was the flow. Most big holes or runs were flowing so fast with so much hydro they became a waste of time. The Lord did see fit to shine on us though and we landed our fair share of wild brookies. Had the water not been flowing so hard I'm confident that strong hatch of duns woulda proved to be the ticket. I landed nearly all of mine on top with a orange colored stimulator and a few with a tiny bead head, lead wrapped stonefly with a little orange flash. The stoneflies were also coming off strong along with a few yellow sallie type mayflies. Our selection of what to throw was numerous but those duns were coming off by the dozen.



Pushing 11:45am and nearing the end of our alloted time a monster for this creek decided to give us a skipped heartbeat. A very large trout played hide and seek with us for about 20 minutes in a wonderful little pool that held a few nice ones. I had already commited to give my bud this hole since I worked the last one and landed a nice 9 incher. Working the hole in style a smaller fish smacked his dry a few times at the end of the run and shortly after he got all tangled up in a blowdown. "Ah!, what a shame", I said. "No way you can get up there, untangle and not spook that hole." It sounded good and he agreed (it was the truth, seriously). After about two casts the big boy rolled on me but gave me the big DECLINE for what I offered. We both tried and tried (I finally inched up enough to unhook my buddy's fly) for almost 20 minutes but had to hit the road. We'll be back without a doubt and see if he'll hit next time. That fish was nice enough that I would have worked and worked until he hit but we simply didn't have enough time.


I should also note the worst part of the trip was when my partner decided to fall in the stream. I often tell people you always hear about how a man could actually drown in 6 inches of water. Well, apparently that's true (he didn't actually drown thankfully, but I understand better now). He's the only man I know who could get soaked if he was wearing a body suit and standing in a mud puddle. It actually was a very scary fall between two rocks with a quick flow of water and about a 3 foot drop. Good to see he lived, it's hard finding someone who wants to flyfish as much as me and I'd hate to have to go back to solo fishing....just kidding!
And check out this awesome orange salamander. A feller over at the southeastern boards informed me it's a newt of sorts that goes through stages which includes color changes. Go figure! All these years in the woods and on a stream and a first for me.



Well, it was a tremendous day on the water and neither of us forgot mother's day for our baby momma's (wives). Which means we lived to fish another day!






1 comment:

David Knapp said...

Nice brookies! That salamander is really colorful also. Looks like a great day on the water...